Sunday, May 9, 2010

Because I am a Girl Scout...

I get asked from time to time why I stay involved in Girl Scouts. This is especially hits home since it is Mother's Day and although I'm not a mother, I have my own "kids" both girls and kitties.

Because I am a Girl Scout

*Because I am a Girl Scout, I have made an impact in hundreds of girls over the years
*Because I am a Girl Scout, easy access to yummy cookies and nuts/candy is an added bonus
*Because I am a Girl Scout, I have met many wonderful adults/volunteers whom I consider friends to this day
*Because I am a Girl Scout, visiting cities that I may have not had a chance to visit otherwise has become a reality
*Because I am a Girl Scout, I have been able to allow a child to confide to me in problems going on in her life and listen to her feelings
*Because I am a Girl Scout, learning how to make many cute crafts and play kids' games is something I enjoy
*Because I am a Girl Scout, now I know that I will not melt in the rain and have learned to survive during a downpour
*Because I am a Girl Scout, girls have asked me to be their 2nd leader in an event called, Rainbow World Jamboree for older girls
*Because I am a Girl Scout, girls run up to me in the store to give me a hug
*Because I am a Girl Scout, singing songs I remember as a girl gives me huge smiles and enjoy teaching other girls
*Because I am a Girl Scout, campfires are so much more fun with all "my girls" and other adults
*Because I am a Girl Scout, scavenger hunts are fun! And so are hikes!
*Because I am a Girl Scout, conquering an outdoor rock climbing wall, with girls from my troop cheering me on, even going a 2nd time
*Because I am a Girl Scout, memories come flooding back, especially when camping.
*Because I am a Girl Scout, camping every weekend wouldn't bother me in the least
*Because I am a Girl Scout, learning about history now has a new twist to it.
*Because I am a Girl Scout, visiting all different "meccas" around the world is now becoming a reality
*Because I am a Girl Scout, life is an ongoing learning cycle for me, learning something new every day
*Because I am a Girl Scout, the rewards of being a leader are too numerous to count
*Because I am a Girl Scout, close relationships with staff are considered treasured to me
*Because I am a Girl Scout, utilizing my communications skills is now a reality


*Because I am a Girl Scout, I am the person I am and continue to grow and yearn to be, making an impact to everyone everywhere, both locally and globally.

Now repeat after me: I LOVE BEING A GIRL SCOUT!
~Carleen Hannan

1 comment:

  1. Carleen, this is fascinating. Thanks for sharing. I hope you have an opportunity to share these same experiences with our little ladies. Jon

    ReplyDelete