Saturday, May 22, 2010

Not just a meeting but a time to shine, learn and grow

Today was our first annual meeting as Girl Scouts of NYPENN Pathways. We are only 10 months old now, less than a year since the realignment/merger was completed. The initial 6 months after the realignment had a lot of bumps and hiccups, it seems like we are finally on the right track, kinda like a newborn learning to crawl, ready to start walking. 5 different councils, 5 different ways of doing things, now all one large council. But I wouldn't have it any way.
Many people can not stand meetings, but these annual meetings I have a whole new approach and guide to. For me, I get to show my CONFIDENCE and CHARACTER, showing what has worked for me in various situations and examples and in turn to help others and provoke a "Oh, that's interesting" thought or two. As the meeting session and workshops go on, I have the COURAGE to ask question, talk to someone in the hall who I do not know.
I wish the workshops were a little longer, but I do appreciate that now with the larger council, they take into consideration that some volunteers drive from hours away, so at they make it worth your drive. There are so many other workshops I wish I could have attended. Once again, I left excited and wanting to learn more, as did my trip to NYC about a month ago.
Another big highlight was meeting up with my online friend, Bev and the chairperson of the History & Archives committee that I recently joined, Rita. I earned my "Picnic Patch" which is when you communicate online with a friend of the WAGGGS-L list (World Association of Girl Guides & Girl Scouts) and then share a meal or snack with that person in real life, you earn your picnic patch and if you meet up with more friends in real life in the future, you earn an "ant" for each person because of course, ants love picnics! Many people had no idea what that even was!
I almost wish I could have meetings and conferences like this more often but it is simply not possible, but each time I do, I feel more excited and invigorated. My poor husband thinks I'm crazy and have fallen off my rocker, per se, but nah, that's just my enthusiasm pouring over!
I also was impressed, just in the workshop I was in, to see how many volunteers do not have children of their own. Glad to know that I am not the only "childless leader" and I wish I could say that I could recruit more, that I can't say that I can.
Just seeing the History exhibit that was on display also made me more ready to dive into the History and Archives part of my newest endeavor.
With that all being said, I must ask you "What did you do today?" Whose lives have you made an impact on?

No comments:

Post a Comment